SLIDER

rhubarb and raspberry crostata

After a few weeks lay-off, it was time to get baking again so last week I loaded the shopping trolley with butter, sour cream, rhubarb and berries to try out this recipe. The strawberries at this time of year aren't at their best, so I picked up a punnet of raspberries instead.



I've had this recipe in my folder for quite some time, just waiting for the right occasion. Well a few weeks ago Maggie Beer was on Masterchef demonstrating her sour cream pastry recipe. When I checked the pastry for the crostata I recognised Maggie's sour cream pastry and decided the time had arrived.



I followed Maggie's instructions to the letter and barely worked the dough.



I only used half the pastry and filling to make 4 mini crostata and I can tell you that the pastry doesn't like to be re-rolled. The pastry still tastes lovely but it doesn't rise anywhere near as much. Once cooked, the pastry is very flaky and short and as I had quite a bit of juice left over I reduced it to make a glaze, which I used to finish off the tarts.



The raspberries were particularly tart so I used a bit more sugar than suggested and the glaze really helped to sweeten the pastries as well. I took the crostata into work and the sour cream pastry was a hit. I now have to work out what I can make with the left over dough that's in my freezer.

Here's the original recipe for you -
Rhubarb and Berry Crostata
Ingredients
200g chilled butter, chopped
250g plain flour
125ml sour cream
6 rhubarb stalks, sliced into 2cm-3cm pieces
500g strawberries, hulled
¾ cup caster sugar
2 tbsp custard powder
Grated zest of 1 lemon
1 egg yolk

To serve
450g mascarpone
1 tbsp icing sugar
Grated zest of 1 lemon

Method
To make the pastry, pulse butter and flour in a food processor until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add sour cream and pulse until the dough just forms a ball. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes. 

Meanwhile, mix rhubarb, strawberries, caster sugar, custard powder and half the lemon zest in a large bowl and toss well. 

Preheat oven to 200C. On a floured surface, roll the pastry out to a rough circle about five millimetres thick and 35 centimetres wide. Place on a tray lined with baking paper. Pile the filling into the centre of the pastry and spread it out, leaving about a five-centimetre edge. Turn the edges over the filling and brush them with the egg yolk. Bake the crostata in the oven until the pastry is golden, about 45-60 minutes. 

In a separate bowl, mix mascarpone, remaining lemon zest and icing sugar. Serve straight from the oven topped with the sweet mascarpone.

I hope you all had good weekends. I'll be back Wednesday to show you where and how I spent mine, so until then.

Jillian
PRINT RECIPE

No comments

Post a Comment

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.