SLIDER

Berlin - part 1

I don't do jet lag well, I'm the first to admit that. So staying up to watch Cadel Evans claim the Tour de France wasn't an issue but only getting 3 hours sleep afterwards, well that was a problem. My brain has turned to mush. I've managed to get to the post office to collect the parcels filled with goodies I sent home whilst on my trip. I've dropped 2 rolls of black and white film to be developed at my film guy's place and have put the dinner on. I think I can put a blog post together but thereafter I'll run out of puff, so the ironing will just have to wait for another day.



I always like to visit new places when I go away and although I've been to Germany before, Berlin was new to me. I really didn't know what to expect. I stayed at The Circus Hotel, which I found after it was featured in the travel section of the local paper.



It always takes me a while to get my bearings but the Circus Hotel was in a really central location. It was really easy to get around Berlin using the bus, train and tram network plus lots of walking, of course.



As soon as I arrived, I went for a walk around the area and this is what I found.



Lots of shops, bars and restaurants. 




Abandoned buildings and loads of graffiti.




Last Sunday, I visited 2 local flea markets at Arkonaplatz and Mauer Park.



Each market had a very different look and feel. I preferred the smaller Arkonaplatz flea market which was filled with primarily 50's and 60's treasures, though I saw some lovely scrubbed pine cabinets.




The Mauer Park flea market was very busy and much more trash than treasure. I found a sweet organic stall, loads of food stalls and a busy flower and plant nursery.


I had a laugh at these young men who didn't appear too fussed about actually selling any of their ice cream.




I'm having trouble keeping my eyelids open, so I'll close here. There are plenty more Berlin images to come though.

There's been lots of sadness during the weekend. My heart goes out to the people of Norway trying to make sense of the senseless.

Jillian
PRINT RECIPE

No comments

Post a Comment

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.