SLIDER

passover tart lemon squares

Last year when I read I could substitute equal quantities of potato flour and superfine matzo meal for flour during Passover I got a little bit excited. No longer was I condemned to a week of coconut macaroons and walnut sponge cakes. I made chocolate brownies using this mixture and they were such a hit, I set myself the challenge of renovating some more of my favourite baking recipes for Passover.



I decided to start with tart lemon squares and I didn't tell my test audience they'd been 'renovated' for Passover.



They didn't have a clue. I think the potato flour in the shortbread base made the base even better than usual but made the filling a bit more cloudy.



Passover Tart Lemon Squares 
Pastry
110 grams (4 oz) unsalted butter
¼ cup caster sugar
½ cup superfine matzo meal
½ cup potato flour (starch)

Preheat the oven to 180º C/350°F. Grease and line a 23 cm/8 inch square cake tin. 


In a food processor, combine the pastry ingredients and process until a soft dough has formed. Otherwise, cream the butter with the sugar in a small bowl until the mixture is light and fluffy. Stir in the potato flour and the matzo meal until a soft dough forms. Press the dough into the tin. Bake at 180ºC/350°F for 15 – 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.

Topping
3 eggs
1 cup caster (superfine) sugar
3 tablespoons potato flour (starch)
¼ cup of lemon juice
Finely grated rind of 1 lemon

If you have a food processor, combine all the ingredients and whiz until mixed. Otherwise using a spoon, combine the sugar, the potato flour and the lemon rind in a small bowl. Add the eggs one at a time and gently mix until smooth.
Lastly add the lemon juice.

Pour the lemon mixture over the still warm cooked base and return to the oven. Bake until just cooked, about 20-30 minutes. While still warm, sift with icing sugar. Allow to cool in the tin before cutting into squares.


I hope you had a lovely Easter break. Apart from Sunday, the weather here in Sydney has just been spectacular - more summer like than autumnal. I've had a lovely restful break and I'm in no rush to return to work tomorrow.

Bye for now,

Jillian

2016 update - there are stacks more Passover recipes now on the blog. Just put 'Passover' into the 'search this blog function' and see what comes up.

PRINT RECIPE

7 comments

  1. What GORGEOUS pictures! I came across your recipe and it is exactly the kind of thing I wanted to make this year. Thanks for the excellent instructions and will let you know how my squares turn out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lola,

      good luck with the recipe. Hope you like the finished product.

      J

      Delete
  2. I was hoping to make these for passover this year but I noticed that the.instructions towards the bottom are cut off on the right side. Is there anyway you can let me know what is missing. Also have you ever tried freezing them? If so how did it turn out? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Becky,

    I've attached the recipe for you in the comments section. I've not frozen these but I don't think they would freeze well. The base is softer than a regular base and I think it would fall apart once defrosted.

    J

    Passover Tart Lemon Squares

    Pastry
    110 grams (4 oz) unsalted butter
    ¼ cup caster sugar
    ½ cup superfine matzo meal
    ½ cup potato flour (starch)

    Preheat the oven to 180º C/350°F
    Grease and line a 23cm/8 inch square cake tin.
    In a food processor, combine the pastry ingredients and process until a soft dough has formed.
    Otherwise, cream the butter with the sugar in a small bowl until the mixture is light and fluffy.
    Stir in the potato flour and the matzo meal until a soft dough forms.
    Press the dough into the tin.
    Bake at 180º C/350°F for 15 – 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.

    Topping
    3 eggs
    1 cup caster (superfine) sugar
    3 tablespoons potato flour (starch)
    ¼ cup of lemon juice
    Finely grated rind of 1 lemon

    If you have a food processor, combine all the ingredients and whiz until mixed. Otherwise using a spoon, combine the sugar, the potato flour and the lemon rind in a small bowl.
    Add the eggs one at a time and gently mix until smooth.
    Lastly add the lemon juice.
    Pour the lemon mixture over the still warm base and return to the oven.
    Bake until just cooked, about 20-30 minutes.
    While still warm, sift with icing sugar.
    Allow to cool in the tin before cutting into squares.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello there. I'm Myra and live in Israel. This year I made your tart lemon squares. Delicious. Thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to hear you liked the recipe Myra.

    ReplyDelete

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.