SLIDER

passion fruit bundt cake

My name is Jillian and I have a confession to make. I am addicted to passion fruit. I just love the stuff and when I looked back through my recipe archives I found passion fruit ice cream, passion fruit tart, passion fruit short bread hearts, passion fruit fingers, lemon cake with passion fruit syrup and the list goes on. Well just when you thought I couldn't possibly come up with another passion fruit cake, I have! I was looking for a fine textured cake that was buttery, lemony and passion fruity all at the same time. This may be it.



A few weeks ago the local passion fruit vine was in flower so I snaffled a few to photograph.



It's a pretty simple butter cake recipe but I ramped up the passion fruit content.You can patiently sieve the passion fruit pulp but I blitz it in the food processor first to loosen the pulp from the seeds before sieving. It really speeds up the process.



I decided to use my little bundt tin but you could use a regular tin or make cup cakes.



The finished product.



Here's the recipe for you - this makes a small bundt cake/ a 17 cm round cake or 6 cupcakes. To make a large bundt cake or a 20 cm cake, double all the ingredients including the icing. You may need to increase the baking time a little.


Passion fruit Bundt Cake 
Cake
150 grams self raising flour
½ level teaspoon baking powder
125 grams unsalted butter
100 grams caster sugar
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1 large egg
⅓ cup strained passion fruit juice
2 tablespoons buttermilk

Method
Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°FGrease and flour a small bundt tin.
Sift the flour and baking powder together into a small bowl. In a medium size bowl cream the butter, sugar and grated lemon rind until light and creamy. Add the egg and beat until the mixture is smooth. Add the sifted flour in thirds, alternating with the passion fruit juice and buttermilk until a soft batter forms. If the mixture looks a bit too thick add a little extra buttermilk. 
Spoon or pipe the mixture into the prepared tin and bake at 180°C/350°F for 20-25 minutes or until the cake is risen and golden. The cake should spring back when gently pressed with your finger.
Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before turning out onto a rack.When the cake has cooled, ice with the passion fruit icing

Passion fruit Glace Icing
½ cup sifted icing sugar
The pulp of one passionfruit
15 gm softened unsalted butter

In a small bowl combine the icing sugar with the passion fruit pulp and softened butter and beat until smooth. 
Place the bowl over a pan of hot water (or you can microwave on high for ~ 10 seconds) and beat until glossy.




I took the cake into work with me on Monday and by lunch time it was all gone - always a good sign. I do hope you get the chance to make this some time.

Bye for now,


Jillian
PRINT RECIPE

No comments

Post a Comment

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.