SLIDER

sweet corn fritters with avocado salsa

Now you know how much I love Bill Granger, don't you? I regularly eat at bill's in Surry Hills and even though I only own one of his books, Bill's Open Kitchen, I've made quite a few of Bill Granger's recipes. Bill writes a column for Delicious magazine and generally his recipes are simple and don't require exotic, hard to source ingredients.



Going out for breakfast is really popular in Sydney and I've eaten these tasty little fritters a few times at bill's. As avocados and sweet corn are in season I decided to make sweet corn fritters with avocado salsa from Bill's Open Kitchen.



Apart from the avocado and sweet corn, all the other ingredients were already in the fridge and the pantry.




The best thing about these fritters apart from the taste? They're quick and easy to make and you can make the salsa while the fritters are in the oven. They're so yummy, they don't last long.

Here's the recipe for you.
Sweet corn fritters with avocado salsa
For the sweet corn cakes:
2 2/3 cup/525 g sweet corn (from 3 cobs of corn)
1 small red onion, chopped
2 eggs
15 g coriander leaves, chopped
1 cup plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
vegetable oil, for frying

Preheat the oven to 120°C.  Put 2 cups/450g of the sweet corn, the onion, eggs, coriander, flour, baking powder, salt and pepper in a food processor and process until combined. Place the mixture into a bowl. Add the remaining sweetcorn and stir. 

Heat 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, drop 2 heaped tablespoons of mixture per sweetcorn cake into the pan and cook in batches of 3 for 1 minute on each side. Drain on paper towels and keep warm in the oven while you are making the rest of the cakes

For the avocado salsa:
2 ripe medium avocado, stones removed, flesh diced
15 g coriander leaves
2 tbsp lime or lemon juice
2 tbsp finely chopped spring onions
dash tabasco, optional
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Put all the ingredients in a bowl and stir very gently to combine. Serve with the warm sweetcorn cakes.



Did I tell you I'm going to Tasmania in 3 weeks? Unfortunately I'll only be there for a week so I'm going to Launceston, Freycinet National Park and Hobart, then back to Launceston. I've been to Tassie before but it was a long time ago. I have a pretty good idea of places to see, markets to visit and where to eat but I'd love some shopping suggestions, gardens to see and food producers to visit while I'm there.


Looking forward to all your suggestions,

Bye for now,

Jillian
PRINT RECIPE

2 comments

  1. Oh Jillian...this looks super scrummy...thank you for sharing...I can't wait to try it! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I made a half batch on Saturday after the gym and ate every last one - all by myself! They're perfect for this weather as well,
      J

      Delete

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.