SLIDER

double chocolate caramel slice

Do you remember I made nanaimo bars a few months back? Every-one at work liked the base but found the filling a bit too sweet. I started thinking of ways I could adapt the base and decided to use it as the base for my chocolate caramel slice.



Now my chocolate caramel slice is a real favourite at work and I was a bit worried about tampering with the recipe as my work mates are very set in their ways.



I added ground walnuts to the base and a few tablespoons of cocoa to the mixture. My golden syrup went AWOL so I used some maple flavoured pancake syrup instead. I figured as it was only a few tablespoons, no-one would notice. The slice came out of the oven and when topped with melted chocolate, it was a thing of beauty. I had a little piece and I thought it was absolutely scrumptious.



Here's the latest incarnation of the recipe for you.

Double Chocolate Caramel Slice
Base
125 gm butter, melted
½ cup brown sugar, lightly packed
1 cup plain flour
½ cup desiccated coconut
¼ cup ground walnuts

Combine the ingredients for the base. Spoon into a non-stick baking paper lined 7 x 11 inch tin. Place in a pre-heated 180°C oven for 10 – 15 minutes or until lightly coloured.

Caramel
2 x 395 gm tins condensed milk
75 gm butter
4 x 20 ml tbl golden syrup

While the base is cooking, combine caramel ingredients in a saucepan and cook over a medium heat until the butter melts. Lower the heat and cook the caramel mixture, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until golden. Pour the caramel over the cooked base and return to the oven for another 10 – 15 minutes or until the caramel is golden brown. Allow to cool completely.

Topping
150 grams chocolate
30 grams butter

Melt the chocolate in a bowl, over a pan of simmering hot water over a low heat or in the microwave. When just melted, add the butter and stir until melted. Carefully smooth the chocolate over the surface of the slice. Allow the topping to set for 20 minutes before cutting the slice. Store the slice in a sealed container in the fridge. Bring to room temperature before serving. Makes 24 pieces.

I took the slice into work last week and waited for the verdict. 



When word went around there was chocolate caramel slice in the Department, people came from far and wide. By day's end there wasn't a crumb left so I  think it was a success. If you try out the recipe, let me know what you think.

I'm very excited as I've just booked a flight to Europe for May. I'm flying to Amsterdam for a conference followed by visits to Brussels, Copenhagen, Glasgow, London, Paris and Zurich. I can't wait!

See you all again next week,

Jillian

PRINT RECIPE

6 comments

  1. Hello Jillian
    Yummy they look delicious. I defentitely have to try them.
    Just let me know if you need a guide in Zurich.
    Greetings
    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Evelyn, I'll be in town the long weekend in June so if you're around I'd love to catch up.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous5:23 am

    I just love your recipes, your pictures hook me everytime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. These were pretty easy to style and photograph. Other items, not so easy.

      J

      Delete
  3. Oh, this looks so delicious. I do love a good caramel slice, it's been years since I've had a piece. Bookmarked, pinned, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jasmine Ann, thank-you. I still have 1 piece left which I'm planning to devour over the next 2 nights. I use a 7x11 inch tin which makes the slice quite chunky. If you like your slice a little thinner, you can bake it in a lamington tin (8x12 inch).

      Delete

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.