SLIDER

Passover week - chocolate, orange and hazelnut biscotti

I thought I'd finished with Passover week, until I realised I had nothing in the cookie jar. I looked through my recipes and thought I'd try making some biscotti. I adapted an old Bill Granger recipe using ingredients I already had in the cupboards.



I'd run out of my usual superfine matzo meal and had to buy a different brand. It was much more coarse than the Solomon's superfine matzo and absorbed much more liquid so I found the dough very dry.



I added some orange juice to make the dough workable but you could try making the biscotti using half the baking mix and seeing how you go, then adding more of the baking mix if the mixture is too damp.



Chocolate, orange and hazelnut biscotti - makes 20
(adapted from this Bill Granger recipe)

Ingredients
⅓ cup caster sugar
1 egg
2 tsp grated orange rind
1 cup Passover baking mix (equal quantities superfine matzo meal and potato flour)
¼ cup cocoa
50 g coarsely chopped toasted hazelnuts
50g coarsely chopped dark chocolate
3 tbl orange juice (if required)

Method
Preheat oven to 180°C. 
Line a tray with baking paper.
In a stand mixer, beat together the egg, sugar and rind for a few minutes, until thick and pale. 
Sift over the baking mix and cocoa and stir through with a wooden spoon.
Add the nuts and mix well using a clean hand. If the mixture is too thick, add a few tablespoons orange juice to form a dough.
Form the dough into a flattish logs and bake for 20 minutes or until firm. 
Leave to cool on a wire rack.
Lower the oven to 120°C.  Using a serrated bread knife, cut the log into slices about 7mm thick.  Spread the slices out on the baking tray in a single layer and bake for about 20 minutes, turning over halfway.
Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container. These will keep for up to 2 weeks in a sealed container


These are tasty but as there is no raising agent, they're pretty crunchy so you'll definitely need to dunk these to avoid some expensive dental work.

I hope you enjoy tonight's Seder,

Jillian 


PRINT RECIPE

No comments

Post a Comment

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.