SLIDER

split pea and israeli couscous soup



I've just flown back to Sydney from Brisbane and the weather here in Sydney is absolutely revolting - cold, gray, wet and windy. I'm in the process of sprucing up my place and should be looking at furniture shops but instead I came home to put on some warm clothes and to make a pot of warming soup.



Growing up I would never eat split pea soup. It was something about the grainy texture I didn't like so I felt pretty brave attempting this recipe for split pea and israeli couscous soup. The recipe comes from Colin Fassnidge's book, Recipes from Four Kitchens.





Living in Sydney I'm lucky enough to have eaten at both the Four in Hand and at Four Fourteen, two of Colin Fassnidge's restaurants and the food has always been delicious. I made this soup for the first time a few weeks ago and it's really tasty, though I did use chicken rather than vegetable stock. Best of all, I've managed to track down the recipe for you.

Split pea and israeli couscous soup - serves 8
Ingredients 
1 carrot, peeled and diced 
1 onion, peeled and diced 
1 celery stalk, sliced 
3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped 
100ml white wine 
200g Israeli couscous 
300g green split peas
litres vegetable stock (plus more if you like) 
splash of olive oil 
thyme leaves, to serve

Method 
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over low heat. Add the vegetables and garlic, and sweat until soft but not coloured

Deglaze with white wine then add the couscous. Add the split peas and stock. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat slightly and cook uncovered for 30 minutes or until the vegetables, couscous and peas are tender. Add more stock as it cooks if you like, but it is supposed to be a thick and chunky soup.

Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and serve sprinkled with thyme leaves.

Don't stress if you can't track down the israeli couscous, any small pasta like risoni or ditalini will do.



I hope you enjoyed your weekends despite the rain. See you all again next week with a tropical cake which is presently languishing in the freezer waiting until the sun returns before it can be photographed.

The ironing needs to be done so I better go and get that done.

Bye for now,

Jillian
PRINT RECIPE

No comments

Post a Comment

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.