SLIDER

plate 2 plate - mushroom quiche

Hi Every-one,

Do you remember I visited Zurich a few months ago? While I was there, I met up with my blog friend Juliana and we chatted about food photography and travel. Juliana was just about to take a food styling workshop so when I returned home to Sydney I suggested we participate in a styling challenge. We select a recipe to style and photograph which we then share on our respective blogs. Today is the first Plate 2 Plate column and we're hoping to make this a regular feature. Our next column will be in December, in time for the holiday season.

Juliana lives in the Northern hemisphere whilst I live in Sydney so trying to find ingredients which are in season in both hemispheres was quite a challenge. 




For this month we chose mushrooms and after some discussion, we decided to bake and photograph a mushroom quiche from a tried and tested Margaret Fulton recipe. We didn't set any boundaries and changed up the recipe just a little to suit what was both in season and in our cupboards. 

My images have my regular logo and Juliana's have the Plate 2 Plate logo. Here's Juliana's take.





Here's mine. Like Juliana, I used a combination of mushrooms in the quiche - button mushrooms, field mushrooms and swiss browns.





I made my quiche in my old faithful rectangular tin and flavoured it with some fresh thyme as my little thyme bush is flourishing on the bathroom window ledge.





Great minds think alike, because Juliana flavoured her quiche with some fresh herbs as well, though she used rosemary.





As it's spring in Sydney and everything is nice and green, I wanted to reflect that in my images. 





I had the quiche for my lunch and served it with a nice leafy green salad.



Juliana's images were just so autumnal.







Here's the original Mushroom Quiche recipe from the Margaret Fulton Cookbook

Pastry
1 cup (150 gm) Plain Flour
Pinch each salt and baking powder
2 oz (60 gm) butter
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons iced water
Squeeze lemon juice

Filling
1 tablespoon chopped shallots
1 oz (30 gm) butter
8 oz (250 gm) button mushrooms, finely sliced
Squeeze of lemon juice
2 eggs
1 teaspoon Plain Flour
½ teaspoon salt
Pinch cayenne pepper
½ cup milk
½ cup cream
2 teaspoons melted butter
1 oz (30 gm) grated Swiss cheese

Pastry
Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Rub the butter in lightly until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.

Combine the egg yolk, water and a squeeze of lemon and sprinkle over the flour stirring with a knife to form a dough. Add a little extra water if necessary. Knead lightly on a floured board to bring together, then wrap the pastry and chill for 30 minutes or until required.

Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured board to fit a 8 or 9 inch flan ring standing on a baking tray. Roll the pastry into the flan tin pressing the pastry well into the flutes. Using a sharp knife cut the pastry level with the top of the flan ring. Chill the pastry while preparing the filling.

Filling

Preheat the oven to (200°C/400°F). In a medium saucepan melt the butter over a medium heat and cook the shallots in butter softened but not browned. Stir in the mushrooms, salt and lemon juice. Cover and cook over a gentle heat for about 8 minutes. Uncover the pan, raise heat and cook until the liquid evaporates.

In a bowl, beat the eggs, flour, salt, cayenne pepper, the cream and milk and the butter until well mixed. Strain the mixture through a sieve then gently stir into the mushroom mixture. Pour the mixture into the chilled flan case, sprinkle with the cheese and bake in a hot oven (200°C/400°F) for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to moderate (180°C/350°F) and bake for another 20 minutes until the filling is set.

Serves 4 - 6.





Apart from using a selection of mushrooms and the fresh thyme, I barely altered the recipe. I can't remember the last time I made this quiche but it was seriously delicious. Lovely short pastry and a very tasty filling. It was so good, I might have to put it back on the menu.





I hope you enjoyed the first Plate 2 Plate column. Check out Juliana's blog for her take on the challenge. Many thanks to my friend Mona who came up with the name for the column. 

I'll be back again next week with something sweet from the kitchen, so until then,

Jillian
PRINT RECIPE

No comments

Post a Comment

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.