SLIDER

chocolate chunk cookies

For this week's blog post I wanted to use what was in my cupboards, as I'm just about to head overseas. I found a half eaten block of hazelnut chocolate in the cupboard and when I looked through the fridge, there were some eggs and butter that also needed to be used, so I decided to make chocolate chunk cookies.




This is a very old hand written recipe from my time living in Canada. The recipe came from a Baker's Chocolate recipe leaflet and I have a feeling I altered it a little to suit my taste as the sugar quantity is quite low for a North American recipe.



I haven't made these cookies for a very long time but I think they are plenty sweet enough. The original recipe called for ¾ cup of chopped walnuts but with plenty of whole hazelnuts in the chocolate chunks, I dispensed with the extra nuts.



Here they are on the cooling rack. Why are cookies just out of the oven so irresistible? I had 2 for my lunch with a cup of tea and they were delicious!



In case you also need to eat cookies for lunch, here’s the recipe for you. For all my recipes, I use a 250 ml cup and a 20 ml tablespoon. All eggs are 60 grams and my oven is a conventional oven not fan forced, so you may need to reduce your oven temperature by 20°C.

Chocolate Chunk Cookies, similar to this recipe

1 cup + 1 tbl flour 
½ tsp baking powder
pinch salt 
110g (4 oz) unsalted butter, softened 
¼ cup packed brown sugar 
¼ cup caster sugar 
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla 
8 oz (220 g) dark hazelnut chocolate roughly chopped into chunks

Method

Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a small bowl. Beat the butter, sugars, egg and vanilla in large bowl until light and fluffy. Add the flour to the butter mixture and stir until well blended. Add the chocolate chunks and mix well. Cover the bowl and place in the fridge for an hour or overnight if you prefer.

Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper then drop tablespoonfuls of dough, 2 inches apart, onto the baking trays. Bake the cookies for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned, swapping the trays halfway through the baking time. 


Allow the cookies to cool on the baking trays for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks. Cool the cookies completely before storing in an airtight container. 
Makes 30 cookies





  • Well it's been a wild old week weather wise in Sydney with torrential rain, strong winds, flooding and hailstorms. I'm fine and my place is fine but my car is a bit worse for wear. So many other people are in a worse position than I, so I am not complaining but counting my blessings. I'm off to Singapore later in the week so I'll see you again soon from somewhere on the road. 
  • Bye for now,
Jillian
PRINT RECIPE

No comments

Post a Comment

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.