SLIDER

passover week - passionfruit tart with a coconut crust

Welcome to day 4 of Passover Week 2015. I've had this recipe in my files for a long time. It didn't need any renovating though because the original recipe was already perfect for Passover. I made some little tarts using this recipe a years ago but used shredded coconut in the crust because I couldn't find any flaked coconut. This year I finally found some flaked coconut and inspired by this Gourmet Traveller recipe, decided to make a passionfruit curd version for Passover. Passionfruit is in season in Sydney but if you can't find passionfruit, you could make a lemon curd or a lime curd version instead.




I had problems with the crust which was quite runny and kept sliding down the sides of the tin. Next time I'll add some additional shredded coconut to the mix to firm it up a bit. I think the crust is worth working on because I have some ideas for Pareve desserts next year utilising this crust. 




It's no secret that I love making fruit curd and I made way too much for the tart. I've adjusted the quantities for you but frankly having half a jar of leftover passionfruit curd in the fridge is not really a problem in my eyes.




I painted the inside of the tart with some melted white chocolate, an idea I pinched from here. The chocolate acts as a sealant so the curd doesn't seep through the crust. I think a dark chocolate layer would also work really well with the passionfruit filling.



Here's the recipe for you, which must be started the day before you plan to serve the tart as it needs to set in the fridge overnight. I only had time to cool the filling for a few hours so it was a bit wobbly when cut but still tasted delicious.

For all my recipes, I use a 250 ml cup and a 20 ml tablespoon. All eggs are 60 grams and my oven is a conventional oven not fan forced, so you may need to reduce your oven temperature by 20°C. To make a 23 cm/9 inch tart just double all the crust and curd ingredients.

Passionfruit tart with a Coconut Crust

Coconut Crust
110 gm (½ cup) caster sugar

2 eggs, separated
3 cups flaked coconut
Additional shredded coconut

Lining
85g (3 oz) white chocolate, melted

Crust
Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F and line a 17 cm/6½ in springform tin with baking paper. 

Using an electric mixer, whisk sugar and egg yolks until thick and pale. In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites until soft peaks form. Add the egg whites and coconut to egg yolk mixture and fold gently to combine. My mixture was quite wet so add some extra shredded coconut to firm up the mixture. Spoon the coconut mixture into a baking paper-lined 17 cm/6½ in springform cake pan, spreading evenly to coat base and sides.

Place a piece of baking paper over the crust and half fill with baking beads or rice and blind bake for 20 minutes. Remove paper and beads and bake for a further 10-15 minutes. Leave the case in the turned off oven and allow to dry out. Once cool, paint the inside of crust with the melted white chocolate.



Passionfruit Curd
3 eggs, lightly beaten
¾ cup strained passionfruit/lemon juice
the finely grated rind of 2 lemons
120g (4oz) caster sugar
Optional - 2 tsp potato flour (starch)
90g (3 oz) unsalted butter at room temperature

To serve: double cream

Combine the eggs, the juice, the lemon rind and sugar in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Whisk to combine, then stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture starts to thicken. You can also cook the mixture on medium high in the microwave for 6 - 8 minutes, stirring vigorously every minute. If you like you can add a few tsp of potato flour at this stage to thicken up the mixture. Once the mix thickly coats the back of a wooden spoon, about 75 - 85°C when tested, remove from the heat and pass the curd through a sieve to remove any cooked eggy bits. Slowly incorporate the softened butter into the mixture and allow to cool and set in the fridge. Spoon through the fresh pulp when the mixture has cooled. You need to have very stiff curd for this recipe to work.

Pour the cold passionfruit curd into the tart shell and refrigerate overnight to allow the filling to set before serving with lashings of double cream.



I ate the slice you can see in the photo and I can report that it was absolutely delicious. The coconut crust is nice and moist and the passionfruit curd goes so well with it. I'm thinking this would probably be easier to serve as individual tarts so watch for it's next incarnation.

I hope you've been enjoying Passover week. I have another special treat for you all waiting in the wings.

See you again next week,

Jillian
PRINT RECIPE

3 comments

  1. I'm desparate for different shaped tartlets pans. I see u have some with straight edges
    where did u get it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not, I got it from ALDI so it's unbranded but I believe it's a Kaiser 18cm Springform pan if that helps you to track one down.

      Delete
    2. This tart looks simple and so impressive!! I usually like to prepare , thanks for sharing !!
      https://ozfoodhunter.com.au/

      Delete

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.