SLIDER

passover week - passover fig frangipane tarts 2015


Welcome to day 3 of Passover week. Do you remember a few years ago I made some Passover fig frangipane tarts? I didn’t share the pastry recipe because I wasn’t very happy with the one I used and I promised to work on it.




Well it’s taken me 3 years but I think I’ve finally found a decent pastry recipe. 





A few weeks back I went to Dungog to visit Farmer Andrew where I spied these gorgeous cattle dogs in the main street. I brought the leftover pastry from Belinda Jeffrey’s Three Nut Cake with me hoping to turn it into something special as it was Farmer Andrew's birthday.



I went into the garden to find the chicken ladies had laid an egg for me to use. There were figs on the trees so I decided to make fig tarts. The pretty jam spoon was a gift from the lovely Jocelyn from Heaven in Earth.





I found the pastry was quite delicate to handle but the tarts themselves turned out well. 





I didn't blind bake the pastry but that’s my goal between now and next year. If the pastry can be blind baked I'll have a whole slew of Passover tarts I'd love to try and make.



Here are all the tarts glazed with apricot jam. The pastry brush is also from Heaven in Earth.



Here’s the recipe for you. If figs aren't in season where you live, you could use thin slices of pear or any type of berry.

For all my recipes, I use a 250 ml cup and a 20 ml tablespoon. All eggs are 60 grams and my oven is a conventional oven not fan forced, so you may need to reduce your oven temperature by 20°C.

Passover Fig Frangipane Tarts (makes eight 7 cm tarts)
Pastry
120g (4¼ oz) almond meal
2½ tablespoon caster sugar
3½ tablespoon Passover baking mix (equal quantities superfine matzo meal and potato flour)
75g (2¾ oz) very cold butter

Frangipane
80gm (3oz) unsalted butter
80gm (3oz) caster sugar
1 large egg
80gm (3oz) almond meal
1 tsp finely grated orange rind
1 tablespoon Passover baking mix
1 tablespoon orange juice

Filling
¼ cup apricot jam

Topping
4 figs, sliced (depending on size)
¼ cup flaked almonds
Thick cream to serve

For the pastry, put the almond meal, sugar and Passover baking mix into food processor and whiz together until combined. Add butter and whiz some more until it forms coarse breadcrumbs. Press the dough into a ball, flatten it out a little and wrap in plastic. Put in fridge to chill for an hour.

Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F. Place the dough on a surface lightly dusted with extra Passover baking mix (or you can use greaseproof paper) and roll out thinly with a rolling pin. Grease eight 7 cm tartlet tins. Line the tins with the pastry and trim the edges of the tart tins with a sharp knife. If you’re having trouble with the pastry, then just press the pastry into the tins with your fingers. Chill the cases while you’re preparing the filling.

To make the frangipane filling, place the butter and caster sugar in a food processor and whiz to combine. Add the egg, the almond meal, the grated orange rind, the Passover baking mix and the orange juice, then pulse to combine.

Spoon 1 teaspoon of the apricot jam over the base of the tart shells. Evenly divide the frangipane filling between the tarts and gently spoon over the jam. Place 2 or 3 fig slices onto the frangipane filling. Sprinkle a few flaked almonds over the tarts. Place the tartlets onto a baking sheet and place on the middle shelf of the oven.

Bake at 190°C/375°F for 30-40 minutes or until the frangipane filling has slightly puffed and is golden brown. Baking time will depend on your oven so start checking the tarts after 20 minutes.

Remove the tray from the oven and cool the tartlets on a wire rack. Gently remove the tarts from the tins and if you like you can glaze the top of the tarts with some warmed, strained apricot jam.




These would be lovely served with a good dollop of cream. 

Time for me to go so I'll see you all again tomorrow with a very citrusy Passover treat.

Bye for now,

Jillian
PRINT RECIPE

No comments

Post a Comment

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.