SLIDER

lime pistachio layer cake

When it comes to my birthday, I make my own birthday cake. This year I decided to try a recipe from Delicious Magazine. Originally the cake was a gluten free lemon cake but as its lime season here I adapted the recipe a little, well actually quite a lot and I used regular rather than gluten free flour.



The original cake had 4 layers but I couldn't work out how I could safely navigate the cake on my one hour commute to work so it became a 2 layer cake.




The cake is very easy to make but the first time I made it, the cake mixture barely rose. Despite that the finished layer cake tasted delicious. 




I guess it's hard to go wrong with a moist and nutty cake layered with cream and lime curd, doused with lime syrup then topped with lime icing and a few extra pistachios.



I wasn't happy to share the recipe the way it was, so I tweaked the recipe a little and remade the cake as a bundt cake.



This time the cake rose high and handsome so I'm happy to share the revamped recipe with you.



Lime and Pistachio and  Layer Cake (adapted from Jamie Oliver Gluten Free Bakes, Delicious Magazine Issue 160 June 2016)

Lime Curd
75 mls lime juice
The grated rind of 1 lime
⅓ cup caster sugar
2 egg yolks
60g unsalted butter, chopped

Cake Ingredients
125 g unsalted butter
50 g pistachios, plus extra to decorate
¼ cup almond meal
125 g caster sugar
¾ cup self-raising flour
pinch salt
½ tsp baking powder
¼ cup low fat plain yoghurt
3 large eggs at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract

Filling
½ cup lime curd
½ cup double cream

Syrup/Topping
Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lime
75 g pure icing sugar, sifted

Method
To make the lime curd, combine the lime juice and rind, the caster sugar and egg yolks into a small microwaveable bowl. Cook on medium-high for 1 minute before stirring. Continue the same process for 4-5 more minutes or until the mixture thickens a little. Pass the curd through a fine sieve into a separate small bowl before adding the unsalted butter. Mix thoroughly until well combined then pour the curd into a small sterilised jar and allow to cool. Seal the jar before storing the curd in the fridge.

To make the cake, grease and line the base and sides of a two 16cm round cake pans with baking paper. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add oil, then remove from heat and set aside to cool. Whiz the pistachios in a food processor until very finely ground. Place in a bowl and sift in all the dry ingredients. Make a well in the centre. Add butter mixture, yoghurt, eggs and vanilla and whisk to make a loose batter. Divide batter between pans, then bake for 25 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool slightly.

Reserve I tbs of lime curd. Whisk the remaining lime curd and double cream in a bowl until thick. Chill until needed. Combine the lime juice and 25g icing sugar in a pan over low heat stirring until the mixture is clear. While cakes are still warm pierce all over with a skewer, then slowly drizzle 1 tbs lime syrup over each cake. Set cakes aside to cool completely.

When cakes are cool, place one cake layer on a plate and spread with the reserved lime curd, then carefully cover with the cream mixture. Top with the second cake layer. Combine remaining icing sugar with the lime syrup to make a thick icing, adding a little water to loosen if necessary. Stir in the lime zest, then drizzle the icing over the cake, letting it drip down the sides. Scatter the chopped pistachios over the cake to serve.

You can also make a small bundt cake with this recipe and and it will take about 30 minutes to cook through. Drizzle the cake with the syrup, reserving 1 tbs to make the icing. When cool top the cake with the icing and reserved pistachios. Even without the curd and cream, the syrup soaked cake is pretty delicious.



So it's time for me to say goodbye to my kitchen for the next 5 weeks. Instead of baking photos expect to see travel photos on the blog for the next month as I make my way to London, Glasgow, Zurich, Paris and on to Iceland. You can also follow my travels on instagram.

I'll post when I can from the road.

Bye for now,

Jillian
PRINT RECIPE

No comments

Post a Comment

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.