SLIDER

waverley cemetery - a sydney wander



Once I returned home from my holidays, I decided it was time to reacquaint myself with my own back-yard. Now I'm very lucky to live in Sydney's Eastern suburbs close to beautiful beaches; suburbs filled with beautiful houses and fashionable shopping districts.



On a beautiful Sunday I drove to one of my favourite Sydney locations, Waverley Cemetery, which is on the perimeter of the Bondi to Coogee Coastal Walk. The walk was damaged during some wild storms a few months back, sending walkers on a detour straight through the cemetery.



It may be a bit ghoulish, but I've always enjoyed visiting old cemeteries. The gravestones are often works of art and the inscriptions, poetic. When I was studying photography, I often photographed the cemetery but I haven't been back in such a long time. 




Waverley Cemetery opened in 1877 and is perched high on a hill overlooking the Pacific Ocean. It's filled with Victorian and Edwardian gravestones and if you read the gravestones carefully, you'll discover the large number of lives that were lost at sea.


I walked through the cemetery past the Clovelly Bowling Club and headed towards Gordon's Bay.



I had one hour to complete the walk and ran out of time and only made it to the cliffs near Clovelly Beach and back before it was time to return home to the days baking.




I hope you enjoyed my little Sydney wander which I'm hoping will be a weekly event.

Bye for now,

Jillian

PRINT RECIPE

2 comments

  1. looks super beautiful :)

    https://aspoonfulofnature.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anna. I hope you enjoy your time in Australia.

    ReplyDelete

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.